Thanksgiving is almost here! Family and friends will be gathering from far and wide to celebrate the holiday with their loved ones. We have all been celebrating Thanksgiving for as long as we can remember, but how much do you know about this fun family holiday?
Paradise Tropical Restaurant is here to equip you with some fascinating, little-known facts about Thanksgiving. With these tidbits up your sleeve, you'll be the life of your Thanksgiving party!
Crazy Facts About Thanksgiving
1. Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be United States' national bird.
2. A 30-pound male turkey will eat 75-80 pounds of feed during its lifetime.
3. Canadians also celebrate Thanksgiving, but their holiday is held on the second Monday in October.
4. Texas, North Carolina, Louisiana, and Arizona all have cities with the word "turkey" in their name.
5. The heaviest domestic turkey on record weighed 86 pounds.
6. The Pilgrims were the very first people to celebrate Thanksgiving.
7. The average American will consumer 16-18 pounds of turkey throughout the year.
8. Male turkeys are called "toms," and female turkeys are called "hens."
9. The first Thanksgiving feast was held in 1621.
10. Wild turkeys can fly, but commercially raised turkeys cannot.
11. The first Thanksgiving feast is believed to have consisted of fish, rabbit, squashes, hickory nuts, leeks, dried fruits, eggs, cabbage, radishes, lobster, chicken, goat cheese, and onions.
12. Thanksgiving is always held on the fourth Thursday of November.
13. President Abraham Lincoln was the one to officially declare Thanksgiving a national holiday. He was persuaded to do so by an American magazine editor named Sarah Josepha Hale (the author of "Mary Had A Little Lamb").
14. Approximately 280 million turkeys are sold for Thanksgiving in the U.S.
15. The very first Thanksgiving celebration lasted for a grand total of three days.
Happy Thanksgiving From Paradise Restaurant!
We hope you and your family have a wonderful time celebrating Thanksgiving! Our waterfront restaurant in Sunrise Beach MO is closed for the season, but we will be back and ready for action in the spring of 2016. We look forward to celebrating with you all then!
Come out to the BEST Waterfront Restaurant at Lake of the Ozarks... where EVERY day is just another day in Paradise!!
~~~ OPEN SEVEN DAYS A WEEK! ~~~